Improving on their Monarch 3 design, and representing the highest magnification within the 42mm series, Nikon's black 12x42 Monarch 5 Binocular benefits from upgrades to the glass and optical coatings to improve image quality with the same focus on comfort and performance the Monarch line is known for.
Featuring extra-low dispersion glass elements with anti-reflection fully multi-coated optics and highly reflective dielectric-coated and phase-corrected roof prisms, the Monarch 5 produces bright and clear high-contrast images with accurate color rendition and minimal color fringing. Its powerful 12x magnification allows users to make detailed observation of distant subjects, while the generous field of view helps to minimize the appearance of hand shake that is common when holding high-power optics such as this. The 42mm objectives not only boost its light-gathering ability to improve views in challenging light, but also help to offset the dimming that is often associated with observing at long ranges at magnifications over 10x. With the combination of glass, prisms, optical coatings, and a comfortable eye relief, users can enjoy an easy observational experience in most lighting conditions.
Complementing the optical performance are construction details that make this binocular durable and comfortable to use. It has a lightweight and durable reinforced polycarbonate ATB chassis and is protected by rubberized armor that is accented with indented palm rests to give it a secure non-slip grip. The optical tubes are nitrogen filled and O-ring sealed to be waterproof and resistant to internal fogging when moving through extreme temperature variations and environmental conditions. A one-piece ocular rainguard covers the eyecups as the binocular hangs around the neck and prevents rain and spraying water from filling them, and the objective lens caps are also tethered to keep them safe from being lost on the forest floor. This version of the Monarch 5 is offered here in subdued black, so it won't draw notice wherever it is used.
- Powerful 12x magnification allows for detailed observation of distant subjects
- 42mm objective lenses improve light-gathering ability and help to offset the dimming of the view that often accompanies high-power optics when viewing at long range
- Roof prism light path ensures optical tubes remain thin for a compact form factor
- Extra low-dispersion glass reduces chromatic and spherical aberrations for increased contrast, improved color rendition, and sharpness without distortion across the entire field of view
- Phase-corrected prism coatings reduce internal interference to improve light transmission, contrast, and resolution