Balancing the imaging merits, the a7R IV also sees an updated physical design with more robust weather sealing to suit working in especially harsh weather conditions. In terms of usability, the OLED electronic viewfinder has been boosted to an impressive 5.76m-dot resolution for clear viewing and the 3.0" rear tilting touchscreen LCD has a high 1.44m-dot resolution for crisp playback, live view shooting, and menu navigation. Dual SD card slots are both UHS-II-rated for faster performance and the inclusion of a USB Type-C port permits tethering and quick in-camera battery charging. Additionally, built-in Bluetooth and both 2.4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi bands afford wireless transferring and remote camera control from linked mobile devices.
Body Design and Built-In Wi-Fi/Bluetooth
- An updated UXGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF is featured and has a 5.76m-dot resolution for bright, clear viewing in rich detail, and a dedicated High quality setting enables a 120 fps refresh rate for especially smooth playback of moving subjects.
- In addition to the EVF, a 3.0" 1.44m-dot rear LCD is also available, which has a touch panel design for intuitive operation and focusing control. The screen also tilts upward 107° and downward 41° to benefit working from high and low angles.
- Magnesium alloy chassis assures rigidity, durability, and stability while remaining lightweight. The lens mount has also been improved to better support heavy lenses and the grip rigidity has been improved for more comfortable hand-holding.
- Extensive weather-sealing, including enhanced sealing around the battery cover, terminal cover, and chassis joints, has been employed to resist dust and moisture for reliable operation in harsh weather conditions.
- Using the same NP-FZ100 battery as its predecessor, the a7R IV's battery life is rated for approximately 530 shots per charge with the EVF or 670 shots with the rear LCD.
- Dual SD memory card slots allow for flexible file saving and handling and can be configured to partition raw and JPEG files or can be used for overflow recording. Both of the card slots are rated to support UHS-II memory cards for faster transfer speeds.
- Integrated PC sync terminal for wired flash sync with strobe packs or wireless radio remotes.
- A USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C port has been added, in addition to a micro-USB port, for faster, more reliable tethering support. The USB Type-C connection allows the camera to be charged from the host power source while connected.
- Updated Multi Interface Shoe supports working with the optional ECM-B1M Shotgun Microphone or XLR-K3M XLR Adapter Kit, which provide improved, clear audio recording sound by sending a digital audio signal to the camera, opposed to an analog signal.
- The a7R IV also features a 3.5mm microphone input jack for compatibility with external microphones.
- Built-in Wi-Fi enables the a7R IV to instantly share imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online to social networking, via email, and to cloud storage sites. Support for both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz bands also enables wireless tethered shooting support.
- NFC (Near Field Communication) is also supported, which allows for one-touch connection between the camera and compatible mobile devices; no complex set-up is required. Once connected, the linked mobile device can also display a live view image on its screen and remotely control the camera's shutter.
- Bluetooth connectivity allows for location data acquisition.
- Sony Alpha a7R IV Mirrorless Digital Camera
- Sony Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery
- Sony Battery Charger
- Body Cap
- Shoulder Strap