Complementing the imaging, when working with the viewfinder, a 51-point phase-detection autofocus system is available, which includes 15 cross-type points for greater accuracy in low-light conditions. When working in live view or recording video, a 273-point Hybrid AF system is used that blends on-sensor phase-detection points and a contrast-detection system for quick performance and excellent subject tracking, including support for Eye-Detection AF.
At its core, the D780 relies on the familiarity and tradition of a DSLR, including a 0.7x-magnification pentaprism optical viewfinder, along with a large 3.2" 2.36m-dot tilting touchscreen LCD. Dual UHS-II SD memory card slots offer flexible storage and built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth also enable wireless file transferring along with remote camera control from a mobile device.
24.5MP FX-Format BSI CMOS Sensor and EXPEED 6 Processor
Chosen for its versatility, the full-frame 24.5MP CMOS sensor provides apt resolution, fast readout speeds, and impressive low-light performance. Its BSI (back-illuminated) design, along with the EXPEED 6 image processor, help to achieve especially clear results with reduced noise levels to suit working with the full native sensitivity range of ISO 100-51200, which can be extended to ISO 50-204800. For working with moving subjects, a 7 fps continuous shooting rate is available when using the optical viewfinder, but when working in Silent Live View mode, up to 12 fps shooting is possible in raw or JPEG.
51-Point Multi-CAM 3500 II AF Sensor
When working with the optical viewfinder, the Multi-CAM 3500 II AF sensor utilizes 51 phase-detection points to quickly and accurately acquire focus on subjects. This system is sensitive down to -3 EV and also features 15 cross-type points for even greater accuracy in low-contrast situations. Benefitting the use of telephoto lenses and teleconverters, 11 of the focus points are also sensitive down to an aperture value of f/8. 3D Tracking, a part of the intelligent Scene Recognition System, also works to benefit maintained focusing on moving subjects for greater accuracy when shooting at high continuous shooting speeds.
UHD 4K Video Recording
In addition to stills, the D780 utilizes the sensor and processor combination to also realize highly capable video performance. UHD 4K recording is possible using either the full-frame area or a DX crop area in 30p, 25, or 24p frame rates and Full HD 1080p video recording is also supported at up to 120p for slow motion playback. Files can be saved to the in-camera memory cards or as an uncompressed file to an optional external recorder via HDMI out.
Additionally, beyond video recording, in-camera time lapse recording is also possible, with the ability to record sequential 2MP stills at 120 fps.
273-Point Hybrid AF System
When working in live view or when recording video, a Hybrid AF system is used that features 273 phase-detection points on the sensor, which cover approximately 90% of the imaging area. This helps to achieve fast and accurate focusing performance for both stills and video and also avails sophisticated subject tracking technologies, including Eye-Detection AF. This focusing system works in low-light down to -4 EV, or down to -6 EV in the dedicated Low-Light AF mode for stills.
- A bright pentaprism optical viewfinder covers 100% of the frame with a 0.7x magnification.
- Large 3.2" 2.36m-dot rear LCD screen features a tilting design to suit working from high and low angles. It is also a touchscreen, and affords intuitive control over playback, menu navigation, and touch AF and touch shutter functions.
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enable wireless transferring of files and remote camera control from linked mobile devices via the Nikon SnapBridge app.
- Dual SD memory card slots both support the UHS-II standard for fast read/write speeds and enable more flexible file storage, such as overflow recording and in-camera file duplication.
- EN-EL15b lithium-ion battery provides approximately 2260 shots per charge.
IN THE BOX:
- Nikon D780 DSLR Camera with 24-120mm Lens
- Niko Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery
- Nikon Battery Charger
- Body Cap
- Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm ED VR Lens
- Professional Cleaning Kit
- 3yrs Mack Warranty